Saturday, September 24, 2011

More happenings in Sverige

School is now well under way and I have started to get into a rhythm from week to week here.  School during the week, and Stockholm on the weekends.  During the week I go to school, sometimes very short days, sometimes very long like I said in my last post, and when I get home I usually watch Family guy or 2 1/2 men on one of the four channels my family has with my host brother.  Swedes love family guy and 2 1/2 men, the latter of which I had never watched until I came here, but I now find it quite entertaining.  Reading the subtitles of these shows while listening to the english has proven to be very helpful for learning swedish as well.  I've also been on my computer quite a lot, mostly watching snowboarding videos as the winter now approaches.  On mondays I have also been playing whats called innebandy here in sweden.  It's basically like indoor floor hockey thats played with these short sticks and wiffle balls.  I play with mostly older men whom are about 40 or so, but it's been a lot of fun because they are quite casual about it.  On the weekends, I have been going to stockholm.  I have become pretty good friends with some other american exchange students that live down there, as well as some australians.  It's not hard to find something to do in stockholm, even if we don't plan on anything we always end up finding something.  For example, yesterday I went down for a Veronica Maggio concert.  She is one of the most famous swedish musicians right now, and quite good if you ask me!  Her concert was packed and a ton of fun.

Sweden is starting to get very dark and cold.  When I arrived, I remember being outside at 10 with a tshirt and having fika after dinner with the sun just hiding behind the trees.  Now even on sunny days I have been wearing sweatshirts to school and the sun is down by 8 or so.  This however makes me very excited because it means winter is coming!  I am incredibly excited for winter this year.  My host family and I will be going to northern sweden for a ski trip they make every year.  There is also a trip up to Åre, swedens biggest and best super resort, with rotary that I am planning on, as well as a trip with my school to a closer resort.  I'm also hoping to take a bus at least a couple times to a place called Kungsberget which is about two hours away but it looks really fun, they have a fantastic park.  There is at least a few others I have met in my town that are ski or snowboard enthusiasts so I'm thinking I will have pretty good opportunities to get out.

Thats all for now, hope everything is well back home!



No comments:

Post a Comment